Posted by: Dale | 2009-09-28

Recent low blood pressure

Hello Doctor. I have always suffered from relatively low blood pressure, mainly due to being a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have recently gone on a diet of mainly green vegetables and green tea. I do ' cheat'  and have breakfast cereal and I eat at least one boiled egg a day, eat lots of salt with my salads and drink plenty of water, but have blacked out briefly once and am dizzy and lethargic a lot of the time as well. I feel that I am eating well, and do not understand why my blood pressure is so low now. Please advise.

Dear Dale
Besides your low blood pressure you could also be suffering from iron or vitamin B12 deficiency, so I would recommend that you have a medical checkup and ask the dr to test your blood levels of these nutrients. Just because you eat healthy foods like vegetables, does not mean that your diet is balanced. Eating only green leafy plants and one boiled egg a day is NOT a balanced diet, so have the checkup and if you are anaemic then the dr will have to prescribe iron or vit B12 supplements for you. It may also be a good idea to have your calcium and zinc levels checked.
Take care