Posted by: Mrs Mohamed | 2009-05-09

RE:Am I peri-menopausal

I am 36 years old,mother of 2 kids,aged 14 and 10yrs. For the past few months I have been xperiencing physical and emotional issues that I am having trouble understanding. I need to know if I might be Perimenopausal and if so what can I do or who can I see to help alleviate these symptoms that are beginning to take its toll on me. My symptoms are:
1)unusual hikes in body temperature -at any time of the day or night.
2)inability to hold my bladder,even for a few minutes.
3)uncontrollable mood swings and severe depression.
4)unusual breast tenderness
5)sudden weight gain.
6)perpetual tiredness.
7)skin has become somewhat dry.
8)loss of libido.
9)my body seems to be aching all the time.
Please help,as I am finding coping with these symptoms very difficult and I have become a complete emotional mess whereas I used to be a very strong person who had coped with so much more in the years gone by,but now cannot seem to cope with anything. I have just re-located to Johannesburg, so I do not have a clue as to where to get suitable help. Please help!

The easiest way to find out if you are perimenopausal is to have a blood test to check your hormones. Hot flushes and mood swings can be symptoms of menopause but, if your periods are completely normal this is unlikely. Many of these symptoms may indicate depression.