Question

REALLY BAD HAYFEVER

Hi there!

I have really bad hayfever, and nothing seems to help. Last year I had a sinus infection, and my doctor gave me a depo-medrol injection.

Could I get a depo-medrol shot for really bad hayfever? And can I go to the chemist for this shot, or do I have to go to my doctor?

Dear Anon
Cortisone does help for severe hayfever, but one can't take it constantly as it will suppress your Adrenal gland and have side effects like weight gain, stretch marks, and supressed immunity. There are non-cortisone medication you can take - long acting antihistamines, leucotrine antagonists, and one can also use local cortisone nosespray which will not have systemic (whole body) side effects.