Question
Posted by: Danjele | 2010/09/06

Reality or not?

I''ve always had a bad case of nightmares and I do not sleep well. I am on anti-depressants and a mood stabilizer, for over a year now. Lately I struggle to draw the line between my dreams and reality. It feels like it really happened until something can prove that it didn''t. Why is this happening?

Lets clarify your question. YOu seem to be saying that you have always tended to have nightmares. Some people, as a side-effect to some antidepressants, develop more troublesome nightmares and related sleep disturbances ; sometimes changing carefully to a different antidepressant may relieve this, while still helping the depression.
But your current concern seems to be not so much the nightmares themselves, but a sense of greater difficulty in telling the difference between the content of the bad dreams, and external reality. This is something it'd be best to discuss with your shrink / prescribing doc, as its best to discuss in terms of the details of the dreams, their content, and actual reality.
When people are troubled in this way, there can be an element of memory disturbance, too, as it's an issue or recalling whatever happened in the dream ( presumably only possible things rather than fantasy ) and not being sure whether the memory is based on a dream or reality. If the confusion only happens for a short time after waking, and then clears, this may be less troublesome.

1