Posted by: Sunshine | 2012-07-23

Reactive lymphnode.

Hallo Cyberdoc

I hope you are well.

I need your assistance please.

About 8 months ago I complained to my doctor about a lymph node under my right arm that was very painful. He sent me off to have a mammogram (which came out fine) as well as an ultra-sound of the lymph node. The ultra-sound was conclusive that the node was 20mm x 12mm and it was " reactive" . The report also suggested that if the node does not get better a biopsy is recommended.

It is now 8 months later, and I''m barely able to lift my arm at times because of the sore and tenderness of the lymph node. I had an appointment with my Gynaecologist on Friday in which she also investigated the lymp node. She suggests that I have a fine needle aspiration as the size of the node does not feel right to her. She suggests that I have it removed.

I have heard so many horror stories about lymph nodes being removed and later on struggling with edema in the arm. Apart from this, I have also heard that when a lymp node is sore and tender chances of it being something more serious like cancer is very rare.

I''d love to have the node removed - and just to make 100% sure there is nothing sinister going on. Some of the symptoms that I''m experiencing are a low grade fewer late afternoon, some itching (but this can be allergy related) and extreme hot flushes (which can be pre-menopausal - I''m 44 years old). I don''t want to remove the node and then struggle with the side effects afterwards.

My main concern however is WHY is this node reacting? And to what? I have stopped shaving under my arm (yuk) but his has not changed anything. I have no open sores or any cuts or bruises in the area. Why is this lymp node acting up?

I''d really appreciate your input ...

It is impossible the speculate why the lymph node is reacting to a stimulus. You will have to consult a general surgeon for a biopsy of the lymph node and possible removal thereof. Removal of a single lymph node will not cause edema or swelling of the arm. Please do not be too concerned and rather consult a general surgeon and wait for the histological results.