Question
Posted by: Elsie de Jager | 2011/07/21

Reactive Hypoglycaemia

Good day, I just read on the daily tip of the above diagnosis. How can I know if I have this - can you be tested?

Homeopaths and reflexologists told me in the past that my pancreas in under functioning and that I should cut startch. I must say, if I want to diet, I cannot touch starch otherwise I won''t lose one kilo. I do struggle with fat around my waistline wich some people suggest is insulin.

Is this correct? What can I do to correct my body?

Dear Elsie
From what you say, you may well be insulin resistant or suffer from hypoglycaemia. The first step would be to consult your medical doctor and ask him/her to arrange tests to determine if you suffer from one of these problems of insulin production. If the tests show that you are insulin resistant (IR) or suffer from hypoglycaemia, then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR or hypoglycaemia, and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, which will promote weightloss, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1

Dear Elsie