Question
Posted by: minx | 2011-10-31

Reactive Attachment Disorder

I have a 13 year old foster child that I suspects have Reactive Attachement Disorder - he has more that 90% of the symptoms. We have a 3 year old son, and I am affraid that he may harm him. How do I handle this situation?

This is a disorder one should be very cautious about diagnosing, and it too easily shades into a quack concept too often attached to bogus and even dangrous"therapies". If your 13-year old is behaving in a way that worries you, and especially if you feel you have reason to worry that he might harm the other child ( other than the empty sales talk of a quack therapist ) take him to see a properly qualified child psychiatrist for a proper professional assessment and a discussiopn of treatment options if necessary. The diagnosis should NEVER EVER be made or treated except by a fully trained and qualified child psychiatrist or child psychologist
And as Purple says, there have been some highly dangerous and wickedly irresponsible "therapies" used based on such dodgy diagnoses, and they should be avoided at all costs.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2011-10-31

Tread carefully, there are some rather strange ideas out there about " attachment therapy"  that has killed children by squashing them, and has seen adopted children severely abused by being tied to their beds etc. Look on the website " whats the harm" .

I came across this while reading up on attachment parenting (a completely different thing) which is about carrying your baby and not pushing kids to be independent before they are ready to separate from you (not worrying that being nice to them is molly coddling them).

Sorry, I''m butting in here as I know nothing about reactive attachment disorder.

Reply to Purple