Question
Posted by: MN | 2009-03-10

Re:304 - Skin Irritation

I have a 3year old neutered Yorkie who also get' s ' doggie pimples' . Unlike Jessica' s pooch, my dog' s ' pop'  and then re-occur. The vet has described them as warts, which are common, but I am uncertain if warts are supposed to pop? The area is also sensitive and he doesn' t like it to be touched. Should I see a 2nd vet, or a skin specialist, or is this a condition that may be left?

Chill, you also said a dog is not supposed to bath every week. How often do you recommend? They have free access to the furniture and is thus the reason I also bath my dogs once a week - but actually use Pantene as other dog shampoos have dried out their skins terribly.

Thanks for your time!

Dear MN

Dog pimples are not warts and the likely underlying cause is a contact allergy. Use Efazol daily, bath the dog up to 3 times a week in Pyoderma shampoo. Hills sensitive skin or Eukanuba sensitive skin are aslo good options.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-10

Use the special shampoo as the vet says.

I can' t recommend a particular bathing schedule, because each dog is different, but I will tell you that my 16-y-o dog has never been bathed, and he' s clean as a whistle and has no smell - even mud on his paws doesn' t seem to leave any mark and he has white paws. Obviously if the mud is wet and he wants to come in, I' ll dunk his feet in clean water - but that' s all.

My other 3-y-o dog has also never had a bath, and she' s so shiny you have to wear sunglasses to look at her.

Previous dogs have included German Shepherds - one used to be dipped because of a skin sensitivity, but none of my others needed bathing - and spaniels, who were only bathed (by a salon) because I had them ' pruned'  in summer.

Reply to Chill