Question
Posted by: M_B | 2009-03-11

RE: Uric acid kidney stones advise

Subject: DietDoc
Dear MB
Because you have a tendency to form uric acid kidney stones you need to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called " purines" , which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker' s and brewer' s yeast taken as supplements (most of these foods, except the fish are also contraindicated for a diet to lower cholesterol). Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely.
Increase your liquid intake moderately to ensure that you are drinking 2,5 litres of liquid a day (this need not just be water), to keep your urine more diluted and prevent crystallisation of the uric acid and thus to stop the formation of the stones.
DietDoc Date: 20/2/2009

Hi Doc, I have started to run in Jan 2/3 times a week for about 15/20 minutes at a time to try and get my weight down, because I suspect that I'  m about 10/15/kg'  s over weight. I'  m finding that I'  m not really loosing weight and my appetite is also increasing the more I exercise. Is there a tablette my GP can prescribe to help me get going for a month or so ? Also do you maybe have a Diet I can follow to cut out the carbs ?

Dear M-B
If you suffer from uric acid stones and need to lose weight, you must do so very carefully and slowly because when you lose weight this will increase the uric acid buildup in the body. So no quick fixes or fad diets, esp high protein diets and if you read my advice listed in your posting about cutting down on proteins, then you need to reduce your fat intake and not your carbohydrate intake. At this stage I would like to recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian to help you with a slimming diet that will not increase your uric acid kidney stones. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. It is always safer to get help with a slimming diet if you have other complicating conditions like the kidney stones.