Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2009-05-19

re: tonsils

Hello Dr Bets

I was thinking that it should be highly unlikely that I get tonsillitis because I was on the antibiotics. But I really have exactly the same symptoms I usually have with tonsillitis. Could it be viral tonsillitis maybe? Can there be a sore on your tonsil even if you dont have tonsilltis? The gland is under the jawline.
I know that cat-scratch disease can cause swollen glands, but even after the 4weeks of ciploxx would i still get swollen glands?
im only going to see the doctor thats treating me for cat-scratch again on the 28th (so no news on the blood result until then unfortunately), so should i go to my normal GP and see if he wants to do a needle biopsy then? the pain in the gland is actually quite bad on and off, and so the ear-ache gets quite bad at times.
would it also be ok to just leave the gland and see if it gets better by itself? everything else seems to be ok other than that.
i just need to start taking probiotics because i havent taken any since i started the ciploxx, and the erythromycin is going to be a very strong dose, so i guess i should. i hope that not taking probiotics could be a cause of this?

Thanks :)

Hi Lisa
It can be viral, especially if the tonsil is swollen and red at that side. Try taking anti-inflammatory /antipain combination for the pain (like Myprodol or 2 Dolorol forte plus a Brufen). Give it a few days and if it gets worse, or the gland enlarges, see your GP. Probiotics will not cause this and you should take it daily.

1
Posted by: Lisa | 2009-05-19

sorry Dr Bets
let me just quickly add that the gland isnt really swollen, i cant really feel it protruding at all (or maybe just a tiny bit but i really cant tell properly, so i guess it isnt really swollen as such), my neck looks and feels pretty normal both sides under my the jawline, its just the pain that makes it feel swollen.

Reply to Lisa