Question
Posted by: RV | 2011-10-07

RE: Suggestions?

When I started my weighloss " programme"  I was 59 kg (I weigh myself on Fridays). 23/09/2011 I was 59, 30/09/2011 I was 58, but today I am 59kg again. How does this happen? I didn''t " cheat"  with the eating plan, and exercised even more (4 days of jogging between 5 an 8km, and 3 days resitance training at Bootcamp).

I include my previous post and you answer.

Reagrds

Subject: Suggestions?
Posted by: RV | 25/9/2011

I am a 27 year old female, 1.53m, 59kg. I would like to weigh about 50kg, what do you think my ideal weight will be? At the moment my eating habbits are more or less: Breakfast: Instant Oats and coffee. Midmorning: Apple. Lunch: Cup-of-Soup Light with low GI bread. Midafternoon: Apple. Dinner: Vegetables and tuna. How much vegatables can I eat? At the moment I don''''t drink 2L water per day, if I do, will this help me to loose weight quicker? I exercise 30min 4 times per week, and 60min 3 times per week. Do you have any other diet suggestions? While I am trying to loose weight, I try so avoid social gatherings (I like wine etc!), once I am at my ideal weight, how can I balance social life with staying healthy can keeping the weight off? How much weight can I expect to loose per week?

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Dear RV
Your present BMI = 25,2, which is just above the upper level of the normal range (18-25). To achieve an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 51 kg, so your goal is realistic. The diet you describe is very low in energy and tends to lack calcium, so do try to add 3 servings of fat-free milk or yoghurt to your intake. You may also find that if you do the amount of exercise you mention that you start lacking energy. If this should happen have some additional low-GI carbs (e.g. ProVita with your snacks and brown rice of pasta made from Durum wheat at supper). You should lose at least 0,5 to 1 kg per week on this regimen. It is a good idea to avoid social gatherings while you are losing weight because alcohol like wine provides 29 kJ per gram or ml and can derail weightloss. Once you have reached your goal weight, you can start socialising again, but apply all the rules and tips to reduce the energy intake of such events: have as few alcoholic drinks as possible  dilute your alcohol with water, soda water, ice cubes or artificially sweetened cold drinks  eat only low-fat snacks and keep your portions moderate.
Good luck with your weightloss

Dear RV
I can imagine that you must be feeling rather puzzled that you have lost 1 kg in weight during week 1 (23/09/11 to 30/09/11) as predicted, and yet 7 days later you seem to have picked up the weight you lost. One possibility is that you are at present developing muscle tissue with all the exercise (4 days of jogging up to 8 mg/day and 3 days of Bootcamp). Unfortunately muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue! So you may well be losing fat even when the scales show no change or this puzzling increase in weight. To monitor if you are losing fat, also keep a record of your body dimensions to see if you are losing cm. I would recommend that you persevere with your weightloss regimen, but if you find that you have not started losing kg after 2 more weeks, then I would suggest that you have a medical checkup to see if there is an underlying physical problem that hampers weightloss (e.g. hormone imbalances such as thyroid or insulin or female hormone imbalances). But do first give your body time to adjust to this new programme and the new diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-07

Dear RV