Question
Posted by: Angie | 2011/09/02

RE: Step Son @CS

Hi Doc, I agree that something should be done to protect us, my husband is not a violent person so he wouldnt fight back especially when the child is there. I am not sure if the court would do that though. I get very upset when they hurt my family even though she is the Bio mother, she plays no role in myself or my husband''s life , so to me, she is an outsider hurting my family. The Bio mum''s father has told her that she will win the case, so im guessing they feel they have a very good chance? or in their minds they think they are going to win? for us its not about win or lose because it has nothing to do with the bio mums family, but rather where the child lives and to have a structured environment. I feel that the bio mum thinks the bio dad is doing it to get back at her. I feel sorry for the child because he says he gets a lot of pressure at his Bio mums house.

So much seems to hang on the case and how it is handled, that it seems a good legal opinion is vital. Unless the biomom's father is a very distinguished senior advocate giving a truly expert and objective opinion, he's an ordinary man blowing steam and being supportive and encouraging to his daughter.
And you're right that it is so important for everyone to recognize that such cases must NEVER EVER be about the adults Winning or Losing - it's about the children's future and whatever is best for them. To my mind, anyone, biomom or otherwise, who wants to win at the expense of the child, or irespective of the interests of the child, is abusive and not a fit parent.
But that's just my view. Get a good lawyer

1