Question
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/02/16

re.: sharp pains above eye

My boyfriend has always experienced stress headaches, more than regularly but about 3 nights ago he woke me up saying that he had these sharp pains above his right eye, he says its difficult to focus and he finds moving around helps a bit but lying down makes it more painful. He has now come home from work today with the same pains. He is only 31, should I be concerned?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Tanya,

People suffering with headaches such as you have described, particularly if there has been a change in the pattern, must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

3
Posted by: sylvia | 2012/06/08

I have been having this headache for almost a year now, have done Xray for neck and shoulders pain, nothing was found.
C T scan - for brain check- nothing was found.
Prescribed medication does not help.
I have a sharp pain in my eyes, which affects my vision, my arms feels numb and neck /shoulder pains everyday.Sometimes i feel dizzy even at night whilst sleeping , i still feel the pain, i sleep very less hours, i keep on drinking water hoping i will be fine. What else must be done. My doctor doesnt know what to do now, i can see him.I really want to be normal, enough pains now.Plse help.

Reply to sylvia
Posted by: tanya | 2012/02/28

I never get headaches. Ever. For the last 8 days I have experienced a SORE HEAD like an ache/soreness behind my left eye. Its not a sharp pain but its just a soreness that sits there. I took 2 panado and it never went away.
I recently was diagnosed with a reaction to some form of animal bite as I had these like ulcer looking welts all over my body. The biopsy said animal bit allergic reaction. Is this connected to the headache? I am going to see a neurologist next week but was wondering.
I am 50 yrs old, female. Dont smoke, drink, and normal weight. My blood pressure is v low (just taken yesterday - 100 over 70). The doctor put me on a pain killer drip plus gave me voltaren injection - the soreness was still there and is present again today. Its been like 10 days now. Any suggestions. I was in Kruger park in Dec and took malaria prophylaxis reliably until course was over. Was not bitten whilst there. Please can you let me have some input.

Reply to tanya
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/02/16

Dear Tanya,

Reply to Headache expert