Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-06-23

re Purple - smoking and tricky therapists

CS 2 questions: 1. how come at the rehab clinics etc where they are curing one addiction like drugs or alcohol - why do they encourage another addiction - smoking, at the same time. Those places are smoke hazards!!!

2. Was the tricky gigolo therapist had up?

There is a tendency for people who abuse one substance to switch to another when giving up the first, thouh one would hope that people being paid to help someone give up one form of abuse shouldn't enable them to sitch to another ( which they're not specifically being paid to help them stop ) just to make the first process a bit easier.
I have known people get hooked on caffeine, and to walk around with a jar of instant coffee and a spoon. The error you sense is quite often made - Freud did some of his early work on cocaine ( useful as a local anaesthetic ) and there were those who thought cocaine would be a great treatment for morphine addiction.
As for gigolo doc, if you're referring to the original one we were told about ( there have been two, as I recall ) I think he was reported to the Health Professions Council, and for some puzzling reason, then to the Sociey of Psychiatrists ( which is not at all proper or routine proceduire ) who required him to undergo further training and supervision.

1