Question
Posted by: STEPHEN | 2011/03/23

re-posting because when others answer dog behaviourist does not

QUESTION
Subject: DOG SHAMAN
Posted by: STEPHEN | 20/3/2011

That''''s what he calls himself. Website is good dog. Anyway, most of the stuff on his site is directly copied from Cesar Millan''''s site and books. What I''''d like to know is has anyone consulted him and is he for real. His self-promotion is intense and I wondered if he deserves the reputation he claims for himself.

READER''S REPLY
Subject: RE: DOG SHAMAN
Posted by: Nic | 21/3/2011
in my opinion most people that claim to have ''''special'''' ways of connecting with your animal are simply trying to benefit financially by preying on other people''''s need to give their animals the best life they can. There''''s a woman that also has a site and refers to herself as the South African Dog Whisperer. One of the things she advocates is feeding your dog as much as it wants to eat because if it is constantly engorged then it won''''t display negative behaviour - scary stuff!

READER''S REPLY
Subject: RE: DOG SHAMAN
Posted by: Vivianne | 22/3/2011
Oh yes. the pet shrink site. Incredible. And she''''s even listed as a behaviourist which is scarier still

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi all, this really is a subject that 'gets peoples goat' as the saying goes! There are many good meaning people who do try to help people with their dogs, but there is also a huge amount of 'misinformation' being banded about which is doing untold harm to peoples relationship with their dogs.
Due to getting very frustrated myself with this situation and often being called in to remedy same, i started a website called friendsofthedog, mid-Febuary, where people get all the basic information they require to help them to further their knowledge and help with basic problems and it is all for free. All the articles are written by professionsl,most of them in SA. You can see the link to this on my CV section with Health 24 and Health 24 have offered to put up some of my articles on various aspects of canine behaviour and problems, the first of which is now up and the rest to follow at a later stage in order to help dog owners.
What does thrill me is that people are starting to question whether the person has the necessary qualification to tackle canine related problems and when you are dealing with reactive and fear behaviour, a professional is the only way to go. Athough there are a few people working as behaviourists who are very good and are not affiliated, the professional bodies one should be looking for are the (ABC of SA)Animal Behaviour Consultants of Sa, SABCAP and more recently the SA division of COAPE. People who have obtain accreditation with these bodies should have the correct qualifications. Additionally, when contacting a behaviourist, check which vets refer to them and phone the vets and ensure the person you entrust your dog to can actually do the work - this of the utmost importance if reactive behaviour is being exhibited by the dogs. Hope this helps and lovely to hear from all of you, thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: STEPHEN | 2011/03/25

GREAT ANSWER! THANKS

Reply to STEPHEN
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/03/25

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert