Question
Posted by: swg | 2008/08/18

re post 92

I' m 28 and started using eltroxin when i was 19. My thyriod function is normal as i mention. The eltroxin suppresses my thyriods need to develop multiple nodules only. (this started at the age of 13) I have regular tests and have had very few problems in the past. (have had two thyriod ops to remove nodules so only have a small bit left but this functions fine. two of my parathyroid glands were severed tho. and as far as i can tell from medical records that i have i have 4 left,

Also i have titanium plates and screws in my lower jaw (both sides) have had them for 10 years now. I don' t drink milk but eat quite healthily. I might need surgery and they would need to remove the one sides plate would my jaw still be as strong as before?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear swg
As I mentioned before- only if you are overtreated will it be harmful to your bones.
The only one to answer the question about your jaw, is the doctor who wants to do the operation.
If you know that your dietary intake of calcium is too low (less than 1000mg per day), you can take a supplement.

1
Posted by: swg | 2008/08/18

Subject: re bone density
Posted by: swg
Message:
I have benn on varying doses of eltroxin for almost ten years (my thyroid function is fine btw its just to suppress any potential nodules)

and i'  d heard from someone that i should go for a bone density scan now so that in 20 or 30 years time the doctors will have something to compare current bone density too as eltroxin over a long period might have an effect on bone density.

does this ring true to you?
thanks
Date: 15/8/2008

Subject:
Posted by: Healthy Bones
Message:
Dear swg
If you take Eltroxin because you are supplementing thyroid hormone only and they do regular (6 monthly)blood tests to monitor the Thyroid hormone levels and you are not over- treated, the Eltroxin will not do any harm to your bones.
I don' t know how old you are, but if you have other risk factors for osteoporosis, it is probably a good idea to have a baseline scan especially if you are post menopausal etc.
Date: 18/8/2008

Reply to swg