Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2012/06/21

RE POST 671: BIPOLAR

Hi Chanel

Lisa is 100% corect. Medicals Aids are legally obliged to cover BiPolar disorder as it is a PMB condition. Your issue right now seems to be that you have not been formally diagnosed with the condition. Having recently just been through the same thing as you with my daughter. If you are on Discovery medical aid, and would like me to share my learnings with you, I''d be glad to do so. Do you have an e-mail address where I can send information to you. .

.

Makes good sense. The fact that Bipolar Disorder is one of the conditions Medical Aids must cover, I think, has led to a great increase in the diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder rather than plain old-fashioned Depression, wich absurdly, chronic though it may be, they don't need to provide cover for.

1