Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-18

Re post 477

What is the lowest pulse rate one can use beta blockers? I was put on Pur Blocka for anxiety/panic attacks as the symptoms bother me a lot. My GP said about 70 is the lowest pulse rate - I must check my pulse before taking the pur blocka as it mustnt be too low. Problem is my pulse is generally about 65... so instead of taking the cheaper and non addictive beta blocker I am resorting to my faithful alzam which she only wants me to take if I cannot take the pur blocka - she doesnt want me on alzam for too long. I understand it has addictive properties - but I only take 1-2 x 0.25mg a day - if I really have to. The issue is the only thing that works fast and effectively against the anxiety and panic attacks as well is the alzam.
As you will see from previous post I am going to start CBT so hopefully this will sort out the anxiety causes and the way I deal with anxiety as its not enough to treat the symptoms alone.

Now THAT, elfen reader, is something one should discuss with a GP, preferably a Cardiologist, who uses such drugs daily. 70 sounds reasonable. Ask your GP who presumably had been checking your pulse and should have known that it rests at 65. I cant recall anyone having anxiety, let alone a panic attack, and maintaining a pulse of 65. That's be a pretty laid back panic.
She's quite right that Alzam is one of a family of drufs which can cause dependency problems, especially when taken continuously ( daily ) for 2 or more months.
But why aren't you seeing a specialist psychiatrist for a fresh assessment and a discussion of better treatment options for your anxiety and panic ? CBT counselling can be excellent and has no risks, and somedrugs also used as antidepressants can be very helpful
I'm so pleased to hear you're about to start the CBT, and look forward to hearing about how well it's doing ! I'd have my fingers crossed, but (a) CBT IS effective, and (b) crosed fingers make it much harder to type

Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-19

thanks for your reply.

I looked into psychiatrist fees in Joburg and they are about R2000 for the first 90 minute appointment and thereafter about R750 for only 20 minutes!
I have tried several AD and all they did was make me nauseous, drowsy and eat like a horse - I felt no better on the anxiety/panic side - in fact it got worse because I was always feeling ill so kept getting anxious about it.
I know my symptoms are result of anxiety and I need to get to the roots of the anxiety and start dealing with it in positive way instead of just treating symptoms.
Also - can''t take time off work to go stand in govt hospital queues to wait for their psychiatrists...

Reply to Pixie