Question
Posted by: Kimmy | 2011-11-22

Re post 413 overweight son

Dear Dietdoc

Thank you for your response to my 9 year old son s weight below. I have called quite a few dietician but I really cannot afford one at present as I am a single mom, he is going for his annual check up to the pead in December and I will get a insulin/sugar test don’ t then. We are only on a hospital plan so my medical aid does not cover a dietician. I have done some research on my own and I obviously aided to his weight by allowing him to eat badly so my question to you is if I manage his eating and his physical activity on my own do you think its possible I could maybe get him down to 40kg. I am starting to exercise with him that way its fun like going for brisk walks etc, I am looking at buying some dvd’ s we can do together. This boy means more to me than anything and I just want to make things right by him… 

Regards, Kimmy

Dear Kimmy
It is indeed a problem if you cannot afford a dietitian, because as I mentioned yesterday, it is essential that a nutrition expert such as a dietitian should at least compile the slimming diet for your son, esp if he is found to suffer from insulin resistance or even type 2 diabetes. The low-fat, low-glycaemic index diets used for the latter conditions are tricky to apply in adults without some dietetic guidance and this becomes even more complicated in young children where there is also the problem I mentioned of providing sufficient nutrients for normal growth and development for the child. I would suggest that following: 1) Start doing the exercise as you mention and try to fit it in every day; 2) Take him for his checkup with the Paediatrician and specifically ask the dr to test for insulin resistance and any other hormonal problems; 3) Depending on the results of the tests, save up to see a registered dietitian at least once so that you can get the necessary guidance for the dietary changes. You may find that the cost is not exorbitant. I would also suggest that you discuss payment with the dietitian you are going to see. It may be possible to pay off the fees over a period of time. It is possible that the price of 2 DVDs could already pay half the fee.
I do hope you can assist your son to lose weight because his pronounced overweight may cause ill health in later years, which is something we all want to avoid on behalf of our beloved children.
Take care

2
Posted by: Kimmy | 2011-11-22

And also if you could give me a guideline on a eating plan.

Much appreciated

Reply to Kimmy
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-22

Dear Kimmy
Take care