Question
Posted by: G. | 2011/08/31

RE: Post 397

Hi doc, I know you dont like advising a person to use pills and all, but I have to ask, seeing that Duromin and Xenical are not working the same, which one would you recomend that an obese person use to help with the weight loss?

for instance me, I am 30 years old, 1.6 tall and weigh 98.5kg. I am obese and I think I need assistance.

thank you again.

Dear G
Of the 2 options, I would probably rather recommend Xenical or Alli (the orlistat generic), which you would use with a very-low-fat diet. The latter would then promote weightloss, because for each gram of fat you cut out of your diet you 'save' 37 kJ (compared to 16 kJ/gram of carbs and 17 kJ/gram of protein). It is essential to use such a very-low-fat diet because the orlistat prevents uptake of fat from the diet, so any fat you eat passes straight out of the body and can cause very loose stools. Your present BMI = 38,4, which is in the obese category as you say. To get back into the overweight category with a BMI of 29, you would need to weigh 74 kg, thus a loss of 24 kg. If you find the very-low-fat diet difficult, please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with an individual diet prescription. Once you start losing weight and become more mobile, you can also start doing some form of exercise such as going for walks or swimming (the latter exercise causes less strain on the joints).
Holding thumbs that you start losing.

1

Dear G
Holding thumbs that you start losing.