Posted by: worried mom | 2009-07-09

RE post 3534...sons behavior

Thanx, it makes alot of sense....I think what bothers me is the fact that I took him to an educational psychologist because he still soils his pants sometimes...When she met him she asked him if he would like to come with her and he said no...but then did go and participated....She only saw him for 40 minutes, they played in the sand. In her feedback sesion she said that she diagnose him as having ODD because he didn' t want to come with her at first, but I thaught by myself she didn' t ask him to come with her, she asked him if he would like to, and he didn' t.....I didn' t take him back there because I didn' t like my child to be labelled after 40 min. I took him to the trauma clinic for assesment and therapy for soiling his pants, ect...They were VERY happy with him, he participated well in every session, enjoyed it and they just concluded that he is extreamly intelligent and had alot of anger that he needs to get out, that makes dissipline more challenging....I just think that this ODD thing is still worrying me...He also tends to choose the tough more naughty children as his friends in school, even though he is the quiet, well behaved one..When watching movies he always wants to be the bad guy, again almost as if he wants to challenge my reaction.....

Not wanting to go alone into an office with a strange lady is hardly a sign of ODD ! Depending on the lady, I might be somewhat reluctant myself !
And you're so right, if she asks "Would you like to ...?" a frank, literal-minded and intelligent child might well admit that no, he wouldn't LIKE to do so. I'd prefer diagnoses to be made by a properly qualified child psychologist or child psychiatrist. An educational psychologist often would not have much experience of actual clinical problems and diagnoses. I have a friend whose son, perfectly normal though highly active to my sight, has been undergoing long and highly expensive, complex "treatment" by OTs and others, for a diagnosis nobody seems able to properly explain to me.
Choosing to identify with the bad guy in movies would be an effective way of channelling some of his anger and aggression, as could choosing rougher companions, who could do the aggressive things he thinks about but does't actually do.