Posted by: Bets | 2008-11-20

RE: Post 1949 VWB disease

The dr first did a full bood count...then said that my platelet counts (?) were borderline low.....She spoke to the pathologists, who then recommended she test for Von Willebrand factor (because of my heavy periods, starting bleeding during the month and spotted bleeding under my skin)...I just know they wrote on the lab form that they must test for the Von Willebrand factor in my blood...She then phoned me to say the normal range of the factor in my blood is suppose to be between 70- 120(180?) and mine was 33...Ps: Im female and 38yr old....

Hallo Bets
Sometimes the body makes antibodies against its own tissues or enzymes - this could be cause of low platelets and low VWF. You may be treated with transfusion or with immune suppressants like cortisone. Please just be very careful not to take in any disprin or aspirin containing medication now as this will aggravate the situation.