Posted by: Anon | 2011-07-26

RE: post 1194 - Digestive issues

I went to a gastroentorologist and he has diagnosed me with Celiac disease... The consultation with him was very rushed as he had an emergency etc...I probably only spent about 15mins with him, trying to explain my whole history of digestive disorders...

I am extremely upset as I''ve read that this can cause miscarriages and cancer! I feel totally lost as he only told me not to eat bread? But I''ve read that almost EVERYTHING contains gluten (especially since everything is so processed).

He also prescribed Iberogast drops.

I am just praying that he has misdiagnosed me... I know that I have IBS, and shouldn''t really have bread etc...but not having any gluten is a severe lifestyle change.

He said that I should go back in 4 weeks time, if I don''t feel better? And that he''ll do a scope then to determine if it is Celiac''s or IBS. I feel as if I want him to do the scope now since I''m so worried? But then again, I know that my already insane stress-levels and this added stress is not resolving anything.

If it is Celiac''s disease, why is it that I''ve only been experiencing symptoms for the past 6 months? Whereas I''ve had other issues, including issues with enzymes and stomach acid and IBS all my life?

And I''m also A+ bloodtype, which supposedly means that I should eat more carbs???

Do you have any advice or insights on this?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I really think you should not be too concerned and rather wait for the final diagnosis. You need to understand Coeliac's disease and I suggest that you refer to the following article for detailed information:

Posted by: Keen | 2011-07-27

He can do a blood test to determine if you have Celiac disease. I would get another specialist. To diagnose someone without a proper examination is irresponsible and dangerous. Before you make severe changes to a gluten free diet, get tested first and then take it from there. A surgeon can also do a gastroscopy if you are in a hurry.

Reply to Keen