Posted by: Student Psychologist | 2009-08-27

RE: Physical manifestations of a psychological incongruence

Ah your answer was very informative. Unfortunately CBT is very expensive but I dont see how that would work in this situation as food is more of an obsession than a phobia. Can you enlighten me? (No to the Freudian slip - not a supporter.)

As well, say that I had sincerely been to doctors and nutritionists, dieticians and even a nutritional counsellor and the general consensus was that the reason I cannot lose weight is that it is Psychological. Im assumably attributing a link to being abused.

What then would your advice be especially if Im not on medical aid and need to work this one through in prayer and on my own...what would you advise a client to do? Sorry, Im just trying to figure myself out and hope that if I do, I can become a healthier person. I did lose 14kgs two years ago but it is the last 10kg' s that are the hardest struggle and that is where I am wondering if it is Psychological.

Thank you!

CBT is enormously less expensive than, say, psychoanalytically-based "therapy", for which there is still no good evidence that i ever works usefully. And it may be ( maybe should be ) availablwe through student health / student counselling services. The sessions can be shorter, and the duration shorter, tha the less or un-effective methods usually used.
CBT deals with examining, testing, and hanging fruitless and unhelpful cognitions and behaviours, and the over-eating is an unwanted form of behaviour ( whether obsession or phobia isn't relevant in terms of the method that would help ). They problem lies, according to your own description in how you behave with, and how you think about, food. Ergo, CBT. Check out potentially useful CBT-oriented self-help books which exist, some might be available online ( check with not to buy, as they're generally cheaper from take2 or exclusivebooks locally, but for reviews from other readers ) and check out what may be available to you through your own library or on inter-library loan.
Anyhow, if you are to become a useful and productive psychologist, you will need to understand the theories and methods of CBT, so read up on these, and learn about it, as well as using it in your own situaon. I have no intention of minimizing the awfulness of abuse of any child a any time, but the evidence is that foussing mainly on that causes problems to worsen, whereas focussing on changing the unhelpful behaviours and habits of thought that may have arisen from the abuse, is far more fruitful