Re: Overweight child

My son is 10 years old and weighs 60kg. His lenght is normal for a 10 year old. He is just always hungry! Please I need to help him!

Dear Overweight Child
The average weight for a 10-year-old is 28 kg, so your lad weighs more than double and need help urgently. Please take him to see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assess what he is eating at present and work out a diet that will promote weightloss, while still providing all the nutrients he requires for normal growth. The dietitian will also advise if your son need to be tested for insulin resistance. In addition to the diet that the dietitian will work out for him, your son should try to be as active as possible. Encourage him to take part in sport, to go for walks, cycle, skip or swim (heated swimming pool!) or to join a gym if possible. Physical activity is one of the most important factors in childhood obesity and if possible, he should do at least one hour's activity every day.

Posted by: nicci | 2009-07-22

my son turns 10 in dec and is a tall young man weighed 3.8kg at birth born 5 weeks prem took him to the doc last year concered over his weight the doc confirmed he is going into adolocence and i need not worry but i still do he is 1.5m tall weighing a wopping 52kg but i stock healthy food and fruit if he is hungry he helps himself to that

Reply to nicci