Question
Posted by: mikky | 2010-06-10

Re: Neurofeedback Therapy

CS - Im creating a new post because I notice you dont respond to replies on your own posts....

Neurofeedback Therapy is what you term BioFeedback therapy but specifically targets your brain functions through use of EEG and supposedly retrains your brainwaves to stimulate ''normal brain activity''

With regards to CBT ... My problem with this approach is that my negative thinking is so severe that it seems almost possible to counter this negative thinking with positive thinking. Do you understand what I mean. I already have enough rubbish in my head, there doesnt seem to be enough room to engage positive thinking. My brain has waged a war on itself and the negative is winning. Im looking for an approach that doesnt mean I have to change my way of thinking with another way of thinking because at the moment, that just seems impossible.

I get very frustrated when my therapist tells me that before I engage in a negative thought or go down that deep dark passage, I must tell my brain to STOP and turn around and engage in something positive.... My brain is not going to think STOP when it is already thinking one thing. It seems impossible to control with thinking itself and Im looking for something to STOP the negativitiy that is rattling around in my head.

Its ruining my life and perhaps its a self control issue and this drama I create is a choice ... But I cant stop it. Its more powerful than I am.

Its not that I don't respond to posts added after I have already responded to a message, but that its really not possible. It'd need more than 24 hours a day for me to keep going out of the admin section where I work, to the public area of the forum, and to keep checking for any fresh comments to each of the previous postings !
OK, thanks for the clarification. I am not aware of any convincing relevance that one can usefully "re-train" one brain-waves as they're shown on an EEG - EEG can be a useful investigation, for instance, of some forms of epilepsy, but doesn't correlate all that well or reliably with general mental phenomena.
However, I'm always open to new evidence, if there is some showing this new therapy's claims are sound. I have not seen any good articles about this form of therapy in the major psych / therapy journals I keep an eye on.
Don't think CBT is about "positive thinking" in any simple way - way back in the days of Coue and others, simple ideas of reciting positive mantra and affirmations were claimed to be useful, but didn't prove to be so. CBT tries to be more scientific, in helping you to put to the test your various assumptions, positive or negative ( for instance, a gambler's assumption that he will, against the odds, win, is a positive but harmful assumption )and to move away from those that prove invalid and unhelpful.
And of course, entering on ANY form of therapy if one negatively assumes that neither it nor anything else, could help, mitigates against most therapies working.
This assumption, even a conviction, that it is impossible to think about things any other way, sounds like a major part of your problem.
I hear the negativity in your message " I cant stop it. Its more powerful than I am." and so on.
I can see the possible attraction for you of any method that doesn't try to work directly through your thinking about things. If you are thinking of the Neurofeedback option, at least it doesn't seem likely to have harmful effects ( as some forms even of psychotherapy, can ) - if you try it, do return to the forum and report on your experience of it and its benefits.
I'm sure you CAN stop this whirl of negativity, and hope you find a method that will help you to do so.

3
Posted by: Maria | 2010-06-10

A close friend of mine is an occupational therapist who also trained to do neurotherapy. She has seen some impressive results in clients, and in herself. I trust her judgement and would have tried this myself if we had not lived at opposite ends of the country,

Reply to Maria
Posted by: mikky | 2010-06-10

ITs like trying to control Obsessive Thinking with more thinking .... Its just NOT working.

Reply to mikky