Question
Posted by: Worry | 2009/11/20

Re : my post regarding anxiety

Thank you for your comments . However , what in your opinion is the best medication for the anxiety I described . CBT does not work for me ... I have tried it ....

I concede, of course, that not everyone is suited by CBT, though many more people than any other recognizeable form of counselling. My concern would be that as its reputation grows, too many therapists using old-fashioned and ineffective methods CALL whatever they prefer to do "CBT" and lead people to think that CBT has failed, when it has been the same-old-same-old method that has failed as usual. For instance, we had someone on the foru m last week, whose therapist was having her repeat silly little "affirmations" like a mantra, and pretended that this was CBT.
However, if one wants a medication that helps anxiety disorder, one generally gets better results with a carefully selected ( so as to suit you particularly ) antidepressant of various types. Most drugs used only for anxiety of the benzodiazepine family ( valium Xanax, etc ) are actually less effective, being sedative and having a real risk of propducing dependency, in which one needs increasing doses of the drug to try to achieve the same effects.

1