Question
Posted by: Natalie | 2010/12/06

RE: Mouth of Womb Open

HI Doc,

I am concerned about a friend of mine is 10wks pregnant, and the mouth of her womb is open, she bleeds and spots about twice a week with some mild cramps across her tummy occassionally. Is this cause for concern? Her gynae , before she fell pregnant did say they will have to close it &  re-open once she is no longer pregnant. She has problems with her womb - it came out abouta year to 2 ago. I was just concerned... will she carry full term , or what happens in cases like this?

From a very concerned friend.

It sounds like you are describig cervical incompetence. A common proble with this is miscarriage. A stitch can be put in to close the cervix. This is usually done between 12 - 14 weeks.

1