Posted by: Lady | 2008-12-02

Re: mood swings

I just read up on bi polar. It scared the hell out of me. There was so much said that described a lot of what I feel. Is it possible that it could be genetic? Cos my I think my mum is bi polar/depressed. She has attempted suicide.

Do you know where I could find a really good psychiatrist in Pretoria? Is there someone u could refer me to?

None of these conditions are "genetic" in the sense that one unavoidably inherits it from a parent, but one DOES inherit a potential weakness for developing such conditions if other factors happen to lean in the same direction. And the affective disorders, including plain Depression, and Bipolar Disorder, tend to behave in the same way.
For various good reasons I am not able to recommend specific psychiatrists, but there are many good folks in Pretoria. Your GP might recommend someone by phone ; or you could contact the Anxiety-Depression Support Group which lists numerous shrinks they recommend. Don't get too scared. These conditions vary in severity, and if recognized earlier and treated earlier, can be more tractable than if ignored for decades.

Posted by: Lady | 2008-12-03

Thanks Jcat.

It' s great to get an opinion from someone who has the Mirena. It' s just when the CS said Bipolar, I went to wikipedia it, and when I was reading up on bipolar, it was really scary to see so many similarities to the symptoms. So now I' m just confused.

I used to also be moody now and then b4 the Mirena, so maybe the CS is right. Maybe the Mirena just exaggerated something that was already there. Or maybe not.

I' d still much rather just go for the test, and see what happens. I' d rather try and treat it sooner than later if there is a problem. I really don' t want to be like my mum. I want to be happy.

Reply to Lady
Posted by: jcat | 2008-12-02

Hi Lady,

- if one parent is Bipolar, it does increase the chances of you having it, but doesn' t guarantee that you will have it.

I' m Bipolar type 2 - the kind that just gets miserable rather than going out and trashing the credit cards. I also have a Mirena IUD, which I had inserted about two years ago because of really heavy periods. From the time I had it, I had no noticable side-effects at all, and went from heavy and painful periods to what they had been a few years before - regular, manageable and pain free. If you have been bleeding for most of the 3 months, go back to your gynae - there is obviously a conflict between you and it, and waiting out isn' t necessarily going to make ithings improve. And if your mood has swung to permanent PMS, it' s way too severe to live with.

I know a lot of the oral contraceptives can affect people with mood disorders, but perhaps you should look at an alternative method for now, maybe try some of the milder pills?

Best wishes,

Reply to jcat
Posted by: Lady | 2008-12-02

Thank you CS. I' m just scared of becoming my mother. I don' t want to be like her. If there is something wrong with me, I' d rather get treated now. I asked about it being genetic, cos when researching it, they mentioned something about that.

But thanks.

Reply to Lady