Posted by: Mo Mosha | 2011-01-27

Re: Itchy throat

Ive been experiencing itchy throat for the last two to three weeks. There are time it’  s so itchy its unbearable i takes a few minutes to clear. The one night my throat out of the blue became sore and was red. Luckily i had Andolex C and i sprayed it directly on my throat. I went to the doctor she gave me nasal spray and anti biotics ( three anti biotics in a pack). Im also taking deselect for my hay fever. I still don’  t see any improvement after a week on medication. The itchiness is slowly coming back. I was diagnosed with pharyngitis before but she said it could be some allergy or infection. What could be the problem. My throat is also bumpy and i occasionally have tonsils stones. My tonsils where not removed, i still have them.Please advise.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mo

Your doctor is correct in the assumption that your problem is either allergy or infection related. Allergies seem more likely, and in your case one should try an exclude a possible food allergy. Try to identify a possible cause. Adults may develope an allergy at any stage, even if one was able to take certain foods in the past. The fact that you still have your tonsils, may play a role, your doctor should advise whether removal could be recommended. Tonsil stones are aften indicative of chronic tonsillitis.
If the problem is allergy related, you may require further tests to establish the causative allergen.