Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/05/10

Re: Insulin resistance, breastfeeding and appetite

Dear Dietdoc

I am very impressed that you remembered me! Well, I measured my trigs, glc and chol on our analyzers at work and this is what came up: glc 5.7, chol 5.64 and trigs 2.06. So, I have gotten myself into a very unhealthy state! I phoned my doc and she arranged for an insulin and lipogram at Pathcare tomorrow. seeing her on Friday. Will I be able to bring the values down to normal with diet (I am strictly following my Weighless program now) and exercise (I can manage 3x per week)? I would like to avoid meds as I want to continue breastfeeding?

many thanks!

Dear Racoon
It is perfectly possible to reduce increased blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels with the correct diet. The same applies to increased glucose and insulin, although as I mentioned before, you may need to consult a registered dietitian to assist you with a more targeted diet which addresses insulin resistance and hyperlipidaemia. Weightloss and exercise per se can also help a great deal, so let's see what your lipogram and insulin tests look like when you have fasted overnight (I presume tests you did yourself were not on fasted blood samples which would influence the results considerably).
Holding thumbs for you

1

Dear Racoon
Holding thumbs for you