Question
Posted by: Someone | 2009-10-09

Re: Insomnia

Subject: RE: Insomnia
Posted by: Someone | 8/10/2009
How about not taking sleeping pills, but a sedative like Alzam for the anxiety. I take Alzam once in a while when I can'  t sleep and because I feel less anxious I actually do sleep better, with no side effects like grogginess the next day. I usually only take half a tablet, but you can take one tab at a time.
Ask your doctor for a prescription and just try it for a few nights.

Alzam is identical in chemical efects to the popular sleeping pills, rather than a true alternative to them. You are right to emphasize the value of the OCCASIONAL use of sedatives like all of these --- their problems usually arise from taking them every night for prolonged periods. You are lucky not to get grogginess the next morning on Alzam, as some people do. Some of the newer sleeping meds like Stilnox, are designed deliberately to wear off quicker, to avoid hangover effects the next morning.
I strongly recommend trying all the non-med hints ( often called "Sleep Hygiene" ) which youll easily find on a web search. A warm milky drink, a calm wind-down period with a peaceful book or movie or hobby, and so on, are all often really useful.