Posted by: Chow Yoong Chuang | 2010-12-12

Re  Health hazard of fibreglass

Plaster ceiling contains fibreglass, thus health hazard to house occupant ?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

As long as the ceiling is intact, it does not pose a health hazard. The only time you need to be concerned is if the ceiling structure becomes broken, as may occur during renovations. In that case, anyone working with the material especially, and anyone who may be exposed to dust in the house, should take precautions. (See 'Fibreglass safety',38747.asp) Scientists do yet have a clear idea of the long-term health risks of exposure to fibreglass; the main concern, because it has some similarities to asbestos, is that it may be carcinogenic, but there is insufficient evidence to make this link.

Posted by: Laura | 2011-02-03

Do not think of fibreglass as just in ceilings. it is used in the car industry also. My neighbour a ''backyard'' mechanic had a few pages of this flapping in the wind for months! I complained and he said its harmless!

Why isn''t there any research done on this?????

Reply to Laura