Question
Posted by: Meg B | 2011/04/12

RE: Gynae Doc...HELP please

Hi again its me Meg B. You told me a few weeks back that there''s a chance of me being pregnant and I am! We conceived 6 weeks after my miscarriage. I went to my gynae who I dislike but he is on my network for med aid so i have to stick with him and so am desperate for a second opinion. So here goes...My LMP was 1 March, I ovulated on 14th March, conceived somewhere around there. 1 April Postive HPT, Sat my hcg was 1450 and progesterone normal. I was excited beyond belief!!!!!! Yesterday was my 6 week (or a few dys short) fist scan. There was no heartbeat and embryo was measuring at 4 weeks 5 days (how?). My Gynae said to come back this fri to check and if no heartbeat we''ll take it from there. He suggested that I don''t go for blood to xheck my hcg becasue either way its ominous. By now my HCG should be around 50 000 if the embryo was developing properly. He said at Hcg at 4000 there SHOULD be a heartbeat. So he said if my HCG is less it means embryo not developing and if it is 50000 &  theres no heartbeat there won''t be. I have a scan of the ges sac and embryo which is measuring a few mm...I am devastated. I know I am obsessing but my gynae does not consider the emotional desair especially after the trauma of a MC. Please advise your opinion, If I was apatient of yours what would you recommend. It feels like I am losing my mind!!! Thanks xxx

Unfortunately it doesn't sound good, but your doctor is doing the right thing by giving it a bit longer and then checking again for the fetal heart. The waiting period is difficult for you I am sure, but this is the only way to know what is going on.
Your first scan was before 6 weeks and sometimes this is too early to see a fetal heart.

4

Posted by: meg | 2011/04/13

Thanks J
Sorry about your MC how did you get through the second one? Please tell me it gets easier...I run to the loo every second checking for blood and now it looks like not even the absense of blood is a good sign ( Good luck for your scan on fri...3rd time lucky! xxxx
Don''''t want to give his name out but he''''s at a private Hospital in Cape Town ) Basically my HCG should be 50 000 odd and the fact that we didnt see a heartbeat is a bad sign in my theory as it means that there prop wont be one. Have been so positive but Im also being realistic. My gynae said that HCG is only one factor and there could be hundreds of others this early in the pregnancy. The fact that it is measuring small I believe is a sign (a bad one). He said the egg could have hung out in the fallopian tubes for a while and that I could be off by a few days and hence too early. I think I know in my heart that if I see my HCG levels now I will freak out and jump to conclusions. He told me to let go because it''''s out of my control! He said he wasnt concerned about what he saw...I don''''t pretned to know more than the gynae BUT I have a lot more vested in this than he does and it is much more emotion for me than logic and yet the logic of medical science in this case does not add up. He said to come back next week I said listen if the embryo is dead I am not sitting for another week fantasizing about my baby and writing in my pregnancy journal. I feel as though I CANNOT take another MC. I am so desperate for a bay, this baby.
I am just begging God for this not to happen again. I cannot handle another D &  C this year! You know what though...my HCG at 4 weeks was 1450 which is off the charts, it puts me at 5-6 weeks, so that was peculiar. He said there could be twins and embryo could be hiding behind the other. You know the more I think and speculate the more mad i drive myself. I have written to gynae doc for her opinion, who knows if I''''ll hear back from her. P.s I still feel nauseus, is that a good sign? Or mabe ita my anxietY!

Reply to meg
Posted by: J | 2011/04/13

I also had 2 miscarriages last year (where there were never a heartbeat), and the embrio measured " younger"  than what it should have been at the time. THe sencond pregnancy I went and did a HCG bloodtest on my own. I calculated what the Hcg should be at that point and the result was WAY lower than it should have been. Knew it was the beginning of the end.

But I am now 6 weeks pregnant again!!!! I decided to not do any extra tests and things, I just want to be relaxed about it all until we go to the doctor.

And we just speak life in the Name of Jesus- and I speak to this childs spirit, so that it will know he or she is loved and wanted!! Jesus died on the cross for us, and took all forms of death on himself then (including miscarriage), and therefore I can claim LIFE and life in abundance because of His finished work at the cross.
I have so much peace in my heart.

Thank you Jesus!

I am going for my first scan this Friday, will be about 6 weeks 4 days then. I believe we will be able to see the little heartbeat!!

Good luck to you, I really understand your despair! Pray that all is well with you.

J

Reply to J
Posted by: PinkSparkle | 2011/04/13

I don''t want to give you false hope, but with my son I could only see a heartbeat at 8 weeks, nothing before.

Reply to PinkSparkle