Question
Posted by: NB | 2010-09-04

Re: Gaining weight every week

Good morning,
I use to weigh 60kg since 2007, maintained that as i was comfortable with my weight, my height is 1.55 but now am weighing 68kg since last summer. At first I thought it was the family planning nordette pills which i started last year November and i stopped them in February but since then, i have cut down on sugar and salt contents, eat smaller portions and walk for exercise purpose, i drink water as well. I''m still gaining weight a lot almost like every week and none of my clothes that i wore in March or April fit. I''m worried becuase I''m not eating junk food and have cut down on many things, e.g I now eat fruits more, fat free milk, all bran flakes which sometimes makes me constipated, I''m really worried and would like your help with this and please recommend anything that might help. My thighs and tummy are growing bigger and bigger and no matter how small a portion i eat, when i walk i feel heavier and am loosing stamina to walk faster, its worrying me and frustrating me a lot.

Dear NB
Such rapid weight gain when you are not eating an unbalanced diet rich in fats and sugars and are doing regular exercise points towards an underlying physical or psychological problem. Please have a medical examination and tell the dr about your pronounced weight gain (your present BMI= 28, whereas it was 25 last summer) and ask him/her to check your thyroid, insulin and female hormones to determine if you suffer from a hormone imbalance such as underactive thyroid, insulin resistance or polycystic ovary syndrome. From a psychological point of view depression can cause pronounced weightloss or weight gain depending on the individual. If this may apply, then consult a clinical psychologist who will help you to combat this condition. Once we have a diagnosis we can see what dietary and lifestyle changes are necessary.
Hope you can pinpoint what is causing your rapid weight gain.

2
Posted by: NB | 2010-09-07

Thanks, i will definitely consult and take it from there.

Reply to NB
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-09-04

Dear NB