Question

re  gaining too much weight during pregnancy

HI there, i am now almost 22 weeks pregnant and i''m putting on way too much weight because i followed a TLC diet which was very low in carbs. I have since started it again, obviously eating more quantities but have cut out breads and sweets and fats and things like that. Will I be able to lose a bit of weight or would my body not lose anything due to the pregnancy I" m now 77 and started off at 65kg!

Dear Pregnancy Weight
Congratulations on your pregnancy. You don't mention your height in metres so that I can calculate your present BMI to see if you are overweight or not. If you started your pregnancy with a low BMI of less than 19,8, then you can gain between 12,5 and 18 kg over the 9 months of your pregnancy. If you started with a normal BMI of 19,8 to 15, then you can gain between 11,5 and 16 kg during your pregnancy without this being excessive. While it is a good idea to cut out high-fat and highly processed foods while you are pregnant to prevent excessive weight gain, it is not a good idea to use an unbalanced diet because you also need to think of the health of your baby. The developing baby needs all the nutrients, including high-fibre starches like low-GI bread which is rich in B vitamins, and even healthy fats such as olive or canola oil in moderate quantities. Please don't use an unbalanced slimming diet while you are pregnant as this can prevent the optimal development of your child. Consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assess your weight gain over the past 22 weeks and help you with a diet that will ensure that you do not gain excessive weight, but which still provides all the essential nutrients you and baby need for good health.
Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy

1

Dear Pregnancy Weight