Question
Posted by: Kaz | 2008/08/04

Re-Freezing of Frozen Veg

I have to leach all the vegetables that my husband eats to get rid of the potassium and phosphates as he is a renal patient. Can I leach frozen vegetables and then re-freeze them.

Dear Kaz
I am sorry to hear that your husband is a renal patient, a condition that is very tricky to handle. Generally speaking no frozen food, including vegetables, should be thawed and refrozen, unless the thawed food is cooked and then refrozen. If the leaching process entails heating so that the vegetables are actually cooked, then you can cool them down and refreeze them. If the leaching only entails soaking in water, without the application of heat, then it is potentially dangerous to refreeze the vegetables.