Question

Re: Freaking Out

Hi CS

I actually have a very involved husband who takes care or the 2 older boys, and the baby is my main responsibility, so I can''t complain from that angle. Baby and I sleep in the spare bedroom to minimize the compounded sleep disturbance of the 2 boys together (the older 2 sleep in our bedroom with my husband). Nevertheless, I don''t see that the sleep deprivation will change any time soon (the oldest started sleeping through from 4 years old and the 2 younger ones are 10 months and 2.5 years respectively). What causes their night wakings is mostly blocked nose or cramps in the baby, and the older one has other physical issues which cause nighttime headaches (difficult to distinguish) and he is in the nightmare phase now. So I need to find another way to cope. I was on ADs for 5 years, but weaned off earlier this year. I am not prepared to start using it again as it takes away my motivation completely and makes me a dud at work and at home. There must be something else I can do to help maintain my composure when I am frazzled from sleep deprivation???

Its not simply an over-all division of labour ( though hats off to a fair and participating father ) but sharing the sleep deprivation. Is there no way to plan even a couple of nights a week of proper undisturbed sleep ? I wonder why nobody offers a night-time babysitting service to handle the night chores. The only apparently safe drug around which increases alertness and reduces sleep need is Provigil ( which you can Google, I know it was made available in SA, but don't know if it's still around ). Otherwise you'd be offered sleeping tabs of one form or another, which would make you more drowsy and tireder.
Provigil is used by Air Force pilots and others going into combat, which may seem apt. But prolonged sleep-deprivation is unhealthy, and plans must still be made for you to have some days of rest.

1