Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-04

Re: Fearful son

Thanks CS. Apart from the fear aspect, he seems pretty balanced. He is def a more sensitive child. For example, with the storms we had, he saw a homless man on the street. It destressed him greatly and he told me long after that he cannot get this man out of his mind. I chatted to him about the poor and that being concerned for another human is good and reminded him of the work we do among the street children (as a family and church) and explained to him that it is not possible to help everyone.

I think a bit of role playing mught be helpful, where I can be him and voice some of his fears and allow him to think of some solutions. We often remind him that most things in life have a solution, the answers aren' t always comfortable or easy though.

I did not mention that he is on Concerta for ADHD. The medication works fantasticly for him and his fears seem more overwhelming when not on his meds. With it being school holidays he was not on it when the fishing incident happened.

Also his fears seem very mcuh situational - what I mean is that apart from something happening to cause anxiety in him, he is not a fearful child.

Sounds like you've been handling this well --- and explaining that even though we can't help everyone, helping ANYone improves the situation in at least a small way, and is better than giving up in despair. Role-playing would be a very interesting approach --- let me know how it goes and if it works.
I wonder, too, whether some aspect of the ADHD might encourage these exaggerated emotional responses to some situations