Question
Posted by: Lizz | 2010-07-23

RE: Electrolytes

Hi Doc,

Thank you will start reading up on those immediately.

I have just stumble across the awesome nutrition benefits of Molasses and it is a high GI product according to Nature source. Could I use this to make my own sports drink as it is high in potasium? Maybe I could mix it with some greentea.

We don''t use much salt in our cooking is there any other way I can increase my sodium? I use Ina Paarman''s Seasalt seasoning instead of salt, salt tastes bitter to me, almost like metal. Maybe something I can add to my mollasses and greentea.

hehe you must think I have lost my marbles now...I try to avoid colourants and preservatives actively and as far as I can see commercial sports drinks are full of them.

Dear Lizz
Molasses is a relatively nutrition byproduct of sugar production. According to the SA Food Tables, molasses contains 1236 kJ, 684 mg calcium, 16.1 mg iron 149 mg magnesium, and 2927 mg potassium per 100 g. If you use it to make an energy drink you would presumaly use 1 tablespoon or 15 g per 250 ml of water, which would contain 185 kJ, 103 mg calcium, 2.4 mg iron, 22 mg magnesium and 439 mg potassium. Also consider using fresh fruit juice or low-fat drinking yoghurt as your post-exercise drinks. I am not sure if the Ina Paarman Seasalt seasoning contains salt, but it should state on the label if it contains sodium.
Hope you can achieve a palatable energy drink

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-24

Dear Lizz