Posted by: Thimble | 2009-03-25

re: ectopic pregnancy

I am 30 years old and had an ectopic pregnancy about 5 years ago and had one of my fallopian tubes removed as it was damaged. What are the chances of having another ectopic pregnancy and how can the chances of another ectopic pregnancy be reduced or eliminated.

Dear Thimble

It is important to understand that the cause of the initial ectopic is probably tubal damage, which may be microscopic if not obvious. Hence the chances of another ectopic occurring is in the region of 60% and unfortunately there are very few if any methods other than in-vitro fertilization which can avoid a repeat of the problem. Even in the in-vitro fertilization process ectopic pregnancies cannot be entirely avoided.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim