Posted by: Jaco | 2009-08-14

Re: Depression.

Thanks for your reply. Have phoned the Depression help line once before,but the guy one the other end sounded more off than i did, which i do not like saying - put me of a bit. He'  s supposed to support me. Don'  t get me wrong he tried to help - good intensions, but feeling the way i do it made me judgemental(which is not the right thing to feel, or say).

I just feel that going to the practitioner, they would just want talk, and mentaly confince me that everything is ok,which might work(never gone before) but dont think that will solve the problem, just solve the symptom.

Thanks again for your advise.

Well, maybe at least your easlier experience can suggest that the guy on the other end knew what you were going through, even if he was also having a bad day. I think they work etter as a source of advice about shrinks who can offer CBT, and of possible support groups in your area, than themselves offering direct help.
No competent shrink / psychologist / whoever, would try to persuade you that everything is fine and dandy. But your comment suggests you do indeed have a negative habit of thought, as do many depressed people, with a great talent for spotting the negative aspect of any situation, and of not noticing the positive aspects. CBT has you much more actively involved than just listening to the shrink blather. You identify the habits of thought and negative assumptions you may be making, and scientifically you test them. Where they seem accurate and useful, you keep them. Where inaccurate you correct them. Where unhelpful, you try alternative ways of looking at the same situations, and test them, too, to see what works better for you. Where things genuinely ARE bad, you examine hat makes them bad and how to avoid what can be avoided, improve what can be improved, and live better with what can't be avoided or improved.
It would be worth trying ( rather than rejecting it beforehand ) and it could not make things worse.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-08-14

Jaco I have a lot of personal experience of depression and therapy. A good therapist will definitely not try to convince you that everything is ok. He or she will help you identify what is not ok and develop a plan for improving things.

Being really scared of going to the doc &  psychologist because you are afraid of being ridiculed is a common experience. It' s part of the depression. If your problem was a broken leg you would not hesitate to go but depression convinces you that nobody will take you seriously. Take it from me, they will take you very seriously. Go and get the help you need.

Reply to Maria