Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/07/01

RE CS: Subject: please tell me...

hi CS

ive only had 2 aapointments before with shrink(very recently). i did not realise i was depressed. i dont know why??

shrink wanted to gradually try out till max dose of my AD before changing, as i wasnt experiencing any neg effts, and just wanted to test that dosage first. been on AD 3-4mnths, first prescribed by other med professional(who referred shrink). i feel very confident with shrink and she promised me that we will try until we find something that works for me.

maybe the whole idea of max dose on the AD not working for me is also making me feel like i cant get it right. i know it''s stupid to think like that, but maybe you know what i mean.

anway, thank you for taking the time. at least my cat''s on my lap giving me some loving. you''d get that.

As I've said, Depression is sneaky. Often its far more obvious to others that you are depressed, and that something is wrong ; to you it may sem that it's YOU that's wrong.
Gradual increase of dose to maximum dose likely to help, especially in someone experiencing no side-effectws, is a very reasonable and popular approach.
Sounds like you have a shrink well worth being confident of. Ads are odd drugs, some have what's called a "window" effect, namely they dotn' work BELOW a certain blood level ( like all drigs ) then above another higher level, they don't get any more effective, and may even get less so. So one needs to see how someone does between those levels.
It can be frustrating to be one of those special people needing more fine tuning, but maybe we ought to look on this as an indicator that we have especially complex and high-class brains.
I used to notice my cat got much more effective when winter started, but now I reckon she's just supremely practical, and has decided that a more-or-less warm human is a good place to snuggle. Now I like a mid-winter blanket over my knees, she gets on the other side and tugs, like a bed-companion trying to hog the blankets.
She has also more recently discovered that the top of the TV is warm, and especially likes to sit on top of the DSTV decoder, warming her bottom, with a look of ecstacy on her face.
Maybe we can usefully learn from that, the importance of enjoying the small opportunities that turn up in life

3

Posted by: Anonymous | 2010/07/02

Hi anon I''ve suffered from depression on and off for many years. For the last year or so I''ve been under the care of an excellent shrink. It took some time and quite a few medication changes &  fine-tuning before I experienced real relief - but I do have relief. It does get better. There are lots of drugs out there and sometimes you need to try a few before you find the right one for you. Also, my shrink told me some people just need more ''fine tuning'' than others. I did get frustrated with the process, but just kept holding to the belief that things could only get better. Don''t give up. And pat yourself on the back that you are seeing an expert &  doing what it takes to get well again. Good luck.

Posted by: C | 2010/07/01

I know yow you feel. I have five cats and they''re my daily therapy, apart from the chemical stuff I have to ingest to deal with life.

Purring is such a soothing sound.

Reply to C