Question
Posted by: leila | 2010/07/08

re: coughing dogs

They are dalmations crossed with a smaller breed. I do not know exactly what it is. they are 4 years and 5 months old. they started coughing about a week and a half ago. their noses are wet and if they were kids I would think it was a cold or the flu. Petrus, the male started coughing and after about 2 days Katrina (female) also started coughing. it is as if she is trying to clear her throat. they eat and are still quite active, they just don''t bark that much anymore. Do dogs get the flu or a cold?

Hi Leila

Thank you for the detailed description.

I suspect that the two dogs may have Kennel Cough. This is a bacterial/viral infection and presents with what they call a goose honk. The dogs will eventually improve (can take 5-7 days) but I would advise that you give them some honey/childrens cough mixture to reduce the coughing. If you find that the condition is getting worse then please take them to your local vet for a check-up where they will prescribe antibiotics/anti-inflammatories.

This condition is contagious to other animals so please keep the dogs away from other dogs.

4
Posted by: leila | 2010/07/13

I took the dogs to the vet over the weekend and it turned out that katrina has tick fever. she is currently on medication and looking great.

Reply to leila
Posted by: leila | 2010/07/09

thank you. i really appreciate your advice. i was quite worried.

Reply to leila
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/09

Hi Leila

Thank you for the detailed description.

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/07/08

Sounds distinctly like an infection, maybe kennel cough. Dogs can certainly get infections in their throats. They probably need an antibiotic, which your vet will have to prescribe.

Reply to Chill