Question
Posted by: Erika | 2010-02-01

RE: CONSENT

My daughter of 18 went to visit her dad and when there she met a guy. Two weeks down the line she let me know shes not coming home she has moved in with him.

This weekend i met him for the first time and they told me they are planning to get married in June. Do they need my consent?????

HELP!!!!!

Expert ImageFamily law expert

A person under the age of 21 who wants to marry must provide the marriage officer with written proof of the parents' or legal guardian's consent to the marriage.

The marriage of a minor that was concluded without the permission of the parents or the guardian can be dissolved by the High Court if an application is made:

* by the parents or the guardian before the minor reaches the age of 21, and within six weeks of the date on which the marriage first came to their knowledge;
* by the minor before he or she reaches the age of 21, or within three months of that date.

The court will, however, not grant an annulment automatically as it has to be satisfied that if it does it will be in the best interests of the minors who are affected.

1
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010-02-01

Reply to Family law expert