Posted by: Whatnow | 2008-11-26

RE: Chlamydia infection

Dear Dr Bets

I wrote to you earlier in the week regarding my Chlamydia infection. You asked whether I am not being re-infected by my partner - I don' t have a partner at present, but this is what apparently happened...

Due to being allergic to Penicillin, my body also has an adverse reaction to Erythromycin which I used earlier in the year for the initial Chlamydia infection. Back onto Erythromycin this week and I spent the entire early hours of the morning vomiting stomach acid. It was better within a few hours, although my stomach still feels tender. I was told that due to the adverse reaction to the Erythromycin, my Chlamydia infection did not clear up earlier in the year and therefore doubled.

My question just is now ... I am allergic to Penicillin which would be the best for this infection, I have an adverse reaction to Erythromycin which is the alternative for those allergic to Penicillin, I cannot take Tetracycline antibiotics due to being on Oratane until January and from what I understand there is no medication for me to sort this out :-( What do I do now? Should I wait to finish the course of Oratane and then take Tetracycline?

Please advise Dr Bets.

Dear Whatnow
Erithromycin is irritating to the stomach lining - the ideal is to take Zithromax 1g one dose and get it over with (this is another kind of erythromycin) - it is also less irritating as the week long erythromycin medications. You can also use Ciprobay 300 mg twice a day x 7 days.