Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/08/11

re Changing meds - dosages

Dear CS

This is my second pregnancy on fluoxetine (my youngest is now 18 monhts old). Previous pregnancy was on 40 mg fluoxetine, so much better this time round. All ofcourse very carefully managed by psychiatrist and specialist gynae (although gynae is one who decided the dosage). I also swopped onto Zoloft for breastfeeding with the previous pregnancy, and then I took 75 mg. I actually think I will be able to drop the meds completely in the coming year. Been stable now for more than a year. So, I don''t want to have a high dosage of Zoloft, as I am actually ready to stop the meds and I also remember what a pain it is to taper and end. Horrible brain zaps! You also advised me during the previous pregnancy, but thats almost 2 years ago now. What dosage would you suggest?

OK, this sounds rather better. The right combination of specialists, reasoned choice of drug, and then a different and well reasoned choice during breast-feedin. Is there any particular reason why the Zoloft dose is different this time from last time ? Yes, tapering is a bore, but better than zaps. As everything went well last time, so should it this time round. And yes, if you remain stable after some months following the birth, I'd think your psychiatrist and gynae would think of weaning you off the Ads altogether. If any later depressions arise, you know the meds that work for you.

1