Posted by: lisa | 2009-04-20

re: cat-scratch

hi doctor bets

they think i have cat-scratch because i have 7 cats and get scratched alot and i'  ve been having headaches. i'  ve also been getting a rash on and off for the last 2 weeks, but that seems to have gone since i started antibiotics. they'  ve done other tests, im not sure which ones exactly, but those came back normal. they also did a catscan and that was normal too.
i dont really have any swollen glands. i do however have tonsilitis. so at first they thought my eye and tonsilitis were somehow linked.
so now im really really confused.
they wanted to put me on steroids. and now im thinking the steroids might have been a better idea.
im really scared that if its not cat-scratch and im taking this ciploxx for nothing, my eye is going to get more damaged with the waiting-and-seeing. my doctor already told me with all the fluid in my eye, it could cause scaring and my sight may never be the same again.
i really dont know what to think or do!
i must also just add, that when you get cat-scratch you supposed to normally (or always?) have a blister type thing on the scratch, and i have one of those, BUT, this one i got late last year. it gets itchy sometimes still. dont know if that counts for anything.

Dear Lisa
The Ciploxx won't harm the eye even if you are using it unnecessary. However it will protect the eye from any bacteria until the blood tests come back. Steroids however can cause serious damage if the eye condition is caused by a virus so it is safer not to use it if they are not sure that it is NOT a viral infection. If you are with an opthalmologist, he will watch your eye closely and sometimes one just has to wait for the inflammation to settle.
For more info on Catscratch disease see
Please keep me updated on your progress?