Question
Posted by: Makayla | 2011/10/19

Re: can you follow an eating plan while you are breastfeeding

Hi Doc! was just wondering, i found this really healthy eating plan along with cardio and weight training and it starts with 1600 calories in the first 3 weeks and then 1400 in the next 3 weeks and then finally 1200 calories for the next 3 weeks. this apparently eliminates your body from plateauing.

Will this effect my milk supply whiile I am breastfeeing? the food options are very healthy, carbs, proteins, fats, veg and fruit and even a cheat day once a week? very balanced?

Dear Makayla
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Women who breastfeed should not reduce their energy levels too drastically (not below 1600 kcal/day) or do very exhausting exercises because both factors can cause problems with your milk supply. I would suggest that if you want to lose weight while breastfeeding that you stay on the 1600 kcal/day diet until you wean your baby. Also make sure that you have at least 3 servings of low-fat milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day (1 serving = 1 cup for milk and yoghurt, and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese), so that you obtain 1200 mg or more of calcium a day to meet the needs of your baby and your own calcium requirements. Breastfeeding is by far the most important present you can give your baby and the longer you can continue the better. Mother's milk not only provides a baby with immunity to diseases, but it also ensures that the child will be healthy for the rest of his or her life and not develop diseases of lifestyle like obesity. Remember the first 1000 days of a child's life are the most important for his or her future. I hope you can balanced your weightloss and the exercise in such a way that you gradually lose weight and get fit, without disturbing your breastfeeding programme.

2
Posted by: Makayla | 2011/10/20

Thanks Doc!! I''ll deff try that and not go below 1600 calories :)

Reply to Makayla

Dear Makayla