Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2011/10/20

RE: BURNING LEGS &  ANKLES WHEN RUNNING

Good day and thank you for allowing me this opportunity to post my question

I want to start runnig, but have the following problem. As soon as I start running my legs start burning and my ankles is sore so much that I cannot continue running or walking. My feet then just feels dead. Could it be the takkies i am wearing or something else. Yet when I walk I do not have that problem.

What do I do!!

Hi Charlene

No problem, sorry for the short wait to get your answer!

Difficult to say what the problem is. It could be the shoes - the difference is that when you walk, the pressure is nowhere near as high because you're not landing with 3 times your body weight on the foot each time. So maybe shoes.

Is it on both sides? That would unusual. The possibility is that it's a nerve thing, based on the fact that your feet get numb. It could even be blood flow (maybe you have the right shoes, but they're just a size too small), and it could just be a muscle weakness that is stopping you. So I guess first thing is to look at different shoes, larger, or wider, but that's a risk because it may not be the shoes at all.

Also, strengthen those ankles. balance on one foot at a time, see how long you can do it (barefoot). Then do it barefoot. Just balance, nothing else. Then, once you can do this for 2 minutes, try to lift yourself up onto your toes, again without holding anything. This will be tougher (do it near a wall so that if you do overbalance you can grab something to steady yourself).

If you can do that, you're getting stronger and hopefully you'll be strong enough for your ankles to handle that loading when running! If it still persists, then I'd see a physio because as I say, it might be a nerve thing from the lower back.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/30

Hi Charlene

Reply to fitnessdoc